24 January 2007

Life Goes On (a svithe)

Sometimes we depend upon the Resurrection too much.

Not that it won't happen. Not that our bodies won't be perfect. But that because our bodies are perfect, everything else will be perfect. I suspect that we'll be surprised at how imperfect our souls still are (although it will be easier to follow Our Father).

We'll probably be surprised at how much our afterlife is just a continuation of our current life.

We hear a lot about how this life is a preparatory state. I don't know why, but that makes me feel as if perfection is supposed to be a long way off - and I can keep putting it off. I don't feel the urgency to change, and being the procrastinator I am, I require that rush of adrenaline to finish (and then crash). Perfection being the longest of long-term projects, I feel like I'm doomed to failure.

I was reading through a Madeleine L'Engle quote book, and (now I can't find it) she said something about how heaven will be familiar because we will have been living it. And that bringing heaven to earth is what being Christian is all about. It made me reflect on how un-heavenly I've been recently.

So, I'm going to stop putting off my heaven on earth. Tomorrow.

2 comments:

Th. said...

.

"
We'll probably be surprised at how much our afterlife is just a continuation of our current life.
"

I think this is true. I've been thinking about this a lot the last few years--started by the notion that the afterlife requires missionary work. Why would it if the truth were suddenly obvious? I suspect there will ever be missionaries of other faiths.

"
So, I'm going to stop putting off my heaven on earth.
"

Yeah. Sorry about that.

Sposita said...

"sorry about that"

umm.... did I miss something?