17 May 2009

My little Man of Steel

~
As kindergarten fast approaches, we had to get the Dude's vaccinations up to date. Needles are among my least favorite things and the time I got my vaccinations is one of my more vivid childhood memories (not in a good way), so I was more nervous about him getting them than he was.

To prepare him, we talked about not looking at them putting in the shots, that it might hurt a little, but that it was better to relax for the shots instead of tense up because it was easier to get the needle into a relaxed muscle. I still remember (and resent!) my Mother's chant: It's easier to poke a stick in a marshmallow than a stone! (and she's right, like usual!) To sweeten the deal, I promised him that he could choose a toy if he was very brave.

We get there, he hops up on the hospital bed, and I draw his attention away from the multiple needles by having him look at the cool rainbow twirly things they have hanging from the ceiling just for that purpose. The nurse pokes him again and again and again. And Again AND AGAIN. I am in tears. He's sitting there bobbing his little head like nothing has happened. I'm wondering if she's using something besides needles to inject him.

The nurse declares him done and then gives him huge high fives.

The Sita then jumps onto the stepstool and sings that it's her turn now! The nurses look at each other and me and then we all start laughing. I think that was a first for the nurses - usually their patients are not excited to get their shots! (Especially when they're second in line!)

A week later, the Dude showed his steel once again when he went to the dentist to get a cavity filled. The dentist suggested that he take some laughing gas to help him relax during the procedure. Because I was pregnant, they couldn't let me in the room with him if he were to take the laughing gas. When I explained that to him, he decided that he would rather go without the laughing gas to have me in the room.

He stayed so still - he only twitched as they were injecting the novocain and was perfectly still for the rest of the time.

He's my brave boy. Particularly when there are Legos at stake.
~

No comments: