09 February 2007

The Grass is Greener

I've discovered that it's better not to know what's on the other side of the hill sometimes. That ignorance truly is bliss.

I was completely fine with the fact that my children wake up between 6:30 and 7:30 every morning in the winter and between 5:30 and 6:30 during the summer. So maybe not completely fine, but it was "normal" and I could handle it.

But I've since discovered that some children sleep in until the blessed hour of 9 every morning. Every morning!

I'm trying very hard not to imagine what life would be like if I had that much more time every day sans (awake) children. I could take a shower in peace. I could read a book. Use chemical cleaners. Write a letter. Exercise. Plan menus. Think. Breathe.

Whew! Excuse me while I banish those provocative images from my mind and return to basking in ignorance.

3 comments:

Lady Steed said...

The Big O may sleep in till about 8.30 or 9 most mornings, but I do not take real advantage of this time. At times I have thought about arising early and being productive before my child awakes, but it has never happened. I, like my child, enjoy sleeping in over productivity.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for ruining your perception of your own grass. Although my grass may sleep in more than yours, it refuses to eat things out of mesh bags...which certainly reduces his greenish lustre in my mind!!

cchrissyy said...

Don't even think about it. Normal for our kids is up at 5:30, and we still have many weeks like this . There's no use comparing with households that work differently. They get more rest. You get bragging rights. No use realizing you got the worse deal :)