03 June 2009

the Jury is still out

~
The Sita has been fairly resistant about learning to read. Whenever I tried even a little to get her to look at words, she just buried her face. So now on the second or third or fourth book in a row she asks me to read to her, I make it a condition that she will "help" me read if I read the rest of the book.

She memorizes stories so quickly it's hard to tell if she's just remembering the word that is supposed to come next or she actually recognizes the word. Sometimes it's fairly obvious because she's got the whole phrase or sentence memorized, but other times, she just says the next word that I'm pointing to.

Since we aren't constantly getting new books, I haven't been sure which she's been doing (or a bit of both). But we just got a new issue of The Friend, and as I was reading a story for the first time, I decided to do a little test. (By the way, have you tried their online interactive site? My kids are in love with it right now!) I started reading (and pointing to the words as I read) and then I would pause and point to the next word. She would say the right one most of the time! Sometimes it took a couple guesses, and sometimes she was way off. I'm not quite sure that she wasn't just guessing the word from the context of the sentence or a combination of the context plus the first letter of the word, but still!

I'm so excited for her.

Words that she seems to recognize consistently:

Jesus
go
up
Mommy
Daddy
no
on
Evelyn


Words she seems to get some/most of the time:

bed
door
room
girl
boy
dinosaur
children
~

1 comment:

Recession Cone said...

I'll have to test this firsthand when I get home (tomorrow!)