15 June 2009

Sposa, Plumber Extraordinaire

~
After spending a couple hours cursing myself, I am feeling triumphant right now.


Why the Cursing:

I was washing things in the sink and the water was starting to rise, so I flipped on the garbage disposal to get the drain flowing again. I noticed that a sippy cup was getting dangerously close to the drain, so I shut off the disposal quickly. But not quickly enough.

The sippy cup was stuck in the garbage disposal. I tried pulling it out, but it was wedged. I tried getting some leverage around it to push it out. No go. I tried wiggling it. It just went in further. After attempting all this in greasy increasingly lukewarm water, I figure I should try getting the water out. And so I push the silly cup all the way in.

This is a very bad idea.

Now the cup inside the garbage disposal with no hope of getting out (Although the water is drained now!). I toy with the idea of being helpless and begging the Spozo to fix it when he gets home. After all, he installed the beast. He should know how to disassemble it and rescue the cup. But. I decide that it can't be too hard of a thing to fix, and I really CAN do it myself.

I spend time unscrewing various screws under the sink that I hope will loosen the dang thing and let me get the stupid cup out. 5 screws later, I am still no closer to getting the disposal loosened and I can't find anymore screws.

Why the Triumph:

I finally remember I have this wonderful resource called the Internet. 2 searches and 5 pages later, I find this gem. And it works! (Well, after I give up on disconnecting the electricity and just go flip the fuse off outside.) The garbage disposal is now cupless and I have put the disposal back together and I can't see any water leaking anywhere.

So the house is still a mess, the children haven't gotten their naps (they've been running wild during this whole episode), and all the under the sink junk is on the kitchen floor, but the garbage disposal works, and by gum, it's all thanks to me!

(Let's just ignore the fact that it wouldn't need fixing if it weren't for me!)
~

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Very brave :) I probably would've just turned on the disposal until it chopped up the cup enough to pull it out...haha.