05 February 2008

Rant no. 2

After wobbling between not sending the Dude to Kindergarten at all in the state of California, homeschooling, and sending him "early" (he's just past the deadline), I decided that I should at least see if I can get him in early. I wrangled the Dude and Cita to a kindergarten open house to see if I could get some questions answered.

I didn't expect that we were going on to visit every single classroom on the school grounds. The Cita panicked because of so many new faces and environments, and the Dude lost interest after 3rd grade, so we ended up staying in the halls and learning the names of the states and their capitals and looking for stars.

I did learn two valuable things: which kindergarten teacher I would trust my son to, and that his reading level was easily in the 3rd grade and perhaps in 4th grade (although my elementary-ed sis-in-law told me it was 5th-6th last summer).

The meaningless question and answer period - first with the PTA, then with a teacher, and then with the student council and then with the principal. Luckily, we were in the school's library and the kids amused themselves by reading books. Or becoming a ghost to haunt the student council and crash into folding chairs. The Dude pulled out a Dr. Seuss tome and sat at the same table as the principal to read it.

Finally, after everyone had finished asking their insipid questions about school lunches and recess and filed out, I got the principal's attention. She admitted to being impressed with his reading, she also thought that he proved himself to be emotionally ready for kindergarten and greeted with surprise the fact that he hasn't gone to (formal) preschool.

As I explained the reasons why I wanted the Dude admitted to kindergarten this year rather than next, she very agreeably agreed with most of my points. 1)the Dude can read already 1.5)he is just past the deadline 2)he is starting to do simple addition 3)he knows his numbers to 100 (mostly) 4)he's just past the deadline! She very sympathetically said the law is the law is the law... but let me give you some phone numbers.

I am so frustrated with this. I understand the need to set some limits, but I am really frustrated (see those italics?) with how the system only deals with outliers in one direction. There are a plethora of programs for "Special Education." But the Special part is for the kids that are struggling. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they have safety nets for kids that don't handle normal schooling well.

BUT.

It seems like the really smart kids are just expected to make do with the normal education. I think that is as unfair as expecting a kid that has problems learning to make do with normal education. It is NOT fair.

Should we be surprised that a lot of gifted kids are the ones that don't do well in a "normal" classroom environment? (Here's where we trot Einstein out.) I knew a couple extremely bright people that did horribly in "normal" classrooms just because they were extremely bored - or because they were always thinking outside the box, and the teachers only rewarded the inside the boxers. Once they got among their true peers (in age AND ability) they really shone. (Especially with outside-the-box-appreciating-teachers). A recent issue of Time Magazine focused on truly brilliant kids that dropped out of school for various reasons - mostly because the system neglected them in some way.

Now that I've talked to the District person once, he's promised to get back to me, he didn't, I called again, his secretary reassured me he'd get back to me, and he hasn't, I am leaning toward giving His Districtness a Severe Lecture and then opting for "homeschooling" the Dude through kindergarten. I want him to have the social fun of kindergarten, but having him sit through "A is 'a' like 'apple'" is ridiculous when he can read this: (which he did tonight without any help)

And after this manner was the language of my father in the praising of his God; for his soul did rejoice and his whole heart was filled, be-cause (hyphenated because of a line break) of the things which he had seen, yea, which the Lord had shown unto him.

7 comments:

cchrissyy said...

you need this book, here's the link to my mention of it on my blogGenius denied. all about public school one-size-fits-all being tragically unequipped for gifted kids.

you sound up for homeschooling, and like an education tailored to his present interests and performance levels may be really called for. I'll not rant on about why, lest it look like I'm telling you what to do and not just discussing the concept. you'll know what's best for your family :)

FoxyJ said...

First of all, I'm jealous of your early reader. S-Boogie knows a lot, but has no little interest in reading. I've been trying hard not to push her too much on the issue though.

When I was growing up, California actually used to have excellent "gifted" programs in schools. I was also a very earlier reader (barely 3) and suffered a lot in preschool. I actually got into a public school with magnet classes for advanced students and I think it was a big help for me. Everyone else in kindergarten was reading or almost reading too. Are there any private schools that offer kindergarten programs? Most have scholarships and other programs. That's really frustrating.
One of the big surprises for me was realizing that most states have moved their cut-off dates to the end of August. S-Boogie's birthday is at the beginning of August, and since it was always the end of the year I assumed she would be in the middle of her class. Now I'm realizing that she's always going to be the youngest in her class after all.

En-her-gy Girl said...

(while shaking my head with the oh-dear, oh-dear tutting) The schools didn't fool you for long, did they?

Seriously, I'm thrilled to see you're not a wimp. I couldn't agree with your post more. I experienced something similar, although not as extreme, when V & K were little. The deeper you dive into PS system, the uglier it gets.

BTW, you seem like a good match for The Well-Trained Mind. You can borrow my copy if you like. I imagine you would soak it up.

Also, both Jee and Aee have friends who have followed the same path your little guy has. For both of them, the parents began at preschool age introducing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th languages. (Second language, ironically for both was Hebrew, then Mandarin Chinese, now Latin which they study with my kids.) I forget the exact reasoning, but it was an approach that was appropriate for kids with early reading abilities.

the romgi said...

One thing I thought was good about the Korean educational system (indeed pretty much the only thing that I liked) was the leeway that they allowed in starting school. The legal cut-off date in Korea is January first (because in Korea, a school year coincides with the calendar year). That being said, in reality they allow kids to go to school, if they were born "close enough" to the deadline. I knew kids that were born on the 17th of January, but were still allowed to go to school.

Another benefit of the Korean schooling system is that all schools, even public ones, have tests to get into them. There are gifted schools, "normal" schools, and schools for kids that need a little bit more help.

This is a little bit neither here nor there, but I have a tiny rant about special ed classes. So often they herd the kids in there that need extra help learning something, but then they are stuck there for the rest of their education. I have friends from back home that were stuck taking remedial math 4 times in high school, because they were not allowed to take anything different. They were never given the chance to prove they could do anything more. The unfairness goes to both ends of the system. Yes, the system is unfair to the gifted kids, but it is also unfair to kids that need extra help.

Sposita said...

cchrissy: thanks for the book recommendation. it is now on my favorites list at amazon!

foxyj: reading is survival here. i, too got some great GATE education (but only 3-6 grades) in CA. There are some kindergarten programs at private schools, but I've already missed all the application and school tour deadlines (didn't realize that until too late!) California is now only one of 5 states that have a Dec. cut off. Everyone else seems to be moving them back (even to as far as July!)

En-her-gy: I've already perused the Well-Trained Mind, but I think I'd really like another peak. Thanks! I'm starting doing a bit of Spanish with the Dude.

Romgi: Koreans are cool! =) Yes, I know the system isn't perfect for the Special Ed kids, but at least there IS a system! GATE doesn't even start until 3rd grade around here!

cchrissyy said...

I can't find Genius Denied here, but you're welcome to a long-term loan on my copy of the WTM. I also have that author's "the well-educated mind: a guide to the classical education you never had". just let me know.

cchrissyy said...

oops, I didn't notice that the WTM recommender above also had a copy to offer.

well anyway, I've got some info about the private Ks (though you're right, it's past the application and $ aid deadlines) and the homeschooling clubs and charters in the area. :)