14 April 2008

A step forward

To recap the saga: I've been trying to see if the school district will let the Dude start kindergarten this fall even though his birthday is after the state-mandated cut-off date. I've called several times and gotten reassurances of responses, but haven't heard back from anyone.... since January.

So after trying AGAIN, and making it very clear that I had called several times before and had not gotten any response, I finally got a call back from the district today! Actually, two calls! First from the secretary this morning to see what exactly I wanted to talk about with Mr. C (during which I relate Again all my reasonings) and basically stating that I was leaning towards homeschooling since I was getting so little support from the school. Voila! Mr. C calls back (when I'm out of the house, darn it!) and leaves a message saying that they'd like to set up an evaluation of the Dude by a kindergarten teacher at the school he would be going to even though the law clearly states that the Dude is past the deadline.

This doesn't mean that the Dude will be kindergartening this fall. He still has to "pass" this "evaluation" (ha,ha), and they still need to convince me that what they can offer the Dude will be worth his while. I'm still leaning towards homeschooling right now, but I'm glad that it looks like that won't be the only option open for us.

4 comments:

Maile said...

Very nice! Way to be persistent! I'm glad to hear you will have more options than one. At least that way you can really feel like you considered every possibility and chose the one that suites the Dude the best.

the romgi said...

i think there is a lot more than coloring in the lines that you learn in kindergarten. just sayin' is all. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

En-her-gy Girl said...

Congrats!

In the end, you know you'll be homeschooling him no matter where he goes from 8-2...

Public ed is meant to be supplemental anyway.

Please do post about good books, places, and other resources you find to feed hungry minds. My littlest has a friend who is... voracious. The parents are struggling to find good content. Lately he has been seeking mathematical input. He blew through all the workbooks and now we're loaning him our collection of old computer games to see if there's anything that can challenge him there.

It's a lot like trying to find a bone for this particular puppy to chew on before he devours the entire closet of shoes.