22 June 2008

The Ogre!

Today I had the rare chance to be in the car with only the Sita. Most of the time the Dude monopolizes conversation simply because of his need to know and read and comment on everything we drive by. One the way home from church today, the I asked the Sita how she had liked nursery and who was there. She listed a couple of her friends and then said, "The Ogre!"


(Aside)

The Ogre is from a Charlie and Lola (which you should look into if you're looking for a great kids show on positive sibling relationships (or how to deal with them when they're not) and using your imagination) episode that actually terrified the Sita because for most of the episode all you hear about is The Ogre being mean and scary. It turns out all the Ogre wants is for everyone to be quiet while someone sings him a song so he can get to sleep! Now whenever the Sita talks about the Ogre she usually says, "Ogre nice. Sad Ogre. Wants to take nap. Wants a song."

(Back to the car ride home)

I asked her about the Ogre and she said she was going to sing to him so he could get to sleep. I said that would be very nice of her. Then she stated that the Ogre needed lunch before his nap. I asked what the Ogre wanted. "The Ogre wants Macaroni and Cheese." I suggested that she and the Ogre share some macaroni and cheese for lunch and she squealed, "[Sita] and Ogre eat Macaroni and Cheese for lunch!"

As I braced myself for the addition of an imaginary friend to the table, I realized that I don't often get to just talk with the Sita because she is so often overshadowed (or overridden!) by the Dude! And she is such a delight to talk with! I simply must schedule more delightful time into my day.

1 comment:

the romgi said...

I think it is great how kids have imaginary friends. I also love Charlie and Lola. Sounds like a win-win situation.

"Sizzles is the cleverest dog in the whole world! Sizzles can do anything."